Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Beginning

I'm part of a social game and role playing group in my community, we are associated by one common vision, and operate by a set of values. My love for many things makes this group very diverse and inclusive for me, yet it allows for being creative. Whilst, role modeling good practices in leadership, entrepreneurial spirit and good old fashion face time with people.

This is my story about how I began the Canadian Fleet of the Terran Stellar Navy.

The idea of a make belief space navy, where man-kind has just discovered/invented faster than light propulsion drives. This allows us to travel beyond our solar system within our life time.

We use story telling to engage people in this science fiction universe. But the real work is the Terran relations we have with one another, the narratives and ability to communicate clearly, concisely and most important of all, well with one another each time we get together to play.

So I began to objectify my vision and values, followed by setting goals for each earth year. Then I transparently shared this with people who might be interested. I welcomed them on board and we began our journey.

It was the summer of 2012, I got a message from a friend in Malaysia where I had spent a few months training a group of young and enthusiastic swing dancers. They were forming a community where they would teach and regularly go out social dancing. They got to know me and discovered my love for space, science and technology while I was there visiting Kota Bharu; where I once lived in a refugee camp for about a year. My Malaysian friend understood how I built communities.

It was believed that I would enjoy playing this game called "Artemis Space Ship Bridge Simulator". He was right, and I saw the potential to create new communities with this tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment